Yoga Sequence for Depression: 8 Asanas
- Sun Salutations
- Downward Dog
- Child’s pose
- Shoulder Stand
- Seated Forward Fold
How does Yoga help with Depression?
- Your breathing will help you draw in more life force energy, more prana, while also reducing stress hormones
- Yoga helps you accept your feelings. We risk developing depression when we push away feelings of sadness and anxiety instead of embracing how we feel and understanding ourselves with compassion.
- Yoga teaches you to accept, surrender and breathe through challenging circumstances.
- You don’t need to practice for hours every day. Even if you only have a few minutes for yoga, focusing deeply and breathing slowly while doing just a few poses can make a lifetime’s difference!
- The dedication you show yourself by practicing yoga flows back into your life in a multitude of good ways. Honoring yourself by giving yourself moments of undivided attention will strengthen your body, boost your energy and heal your soul.
- Backbends are particularly helpful for depression, as they help open the heart chakra – filling us with loving energy, which in turn helps us feel more connected. Depression often occurs as a result of feeling separate.
- A few minutes of vigorous sun salutations can help boost your energy levels tremendously, and bring wonders to your emotional state and feelings of vitality.
- Yoga helps you build a deeper connection with yourself, people around you, and the entire Universe!
Love & Gratitude,
Anna-Karin Bjorklund is a dream expert, yoga teacher, dream guidance coach, writer and inspirational speaker, and the author of Dream Guidance: Interpret Your Dreams and Create the Life You Desire! She loves sharing her passion for dreams and soul growth with audiences near and far, and has made expert appearances on Fox & Friends, and the Steve Harvey TV Show on NBC, and been interviewed by Money Magazine, Daily Worth, Marie Claire UK and other media outlets.